Reporter says gymnophobes need to grow up

If You Are Not Comfortable Being Naked Around Other People, You Are Not an Adult

As a child and a teenager, public nudity is scary. Puberty does strange things to our bodies, and we spend much of our younger years fretting about the development (or lack thereof) of our secondary sex characteristics. That is why schools should not force children and teens to take group showers: The practice fosters anxiety and bullying and deprives children of some bodily autonomy. It makes good sense to encourage teens to grow comfortable with their changing bodies in private.

But there is really no rational reason to remain afraid of public nudity once you are an adult. Your body looks more or less like everyone else’s, especially everyone else with the same sex. The fear driving men to slide their underwear on under their towels is rooted squarely in insecurity, an insecurity about one’s body and genitals picked up during pubescence. That’s fine—we all have insecurities—but that doesn’t make the insecurity healthy. It makes it an irrational phobia, one that should be conquered, not accommodated. (Trans people, who may face a legitimate threat of harassment

clothingoptionalzone 3 years ago

Reblogged this on Clothing Optional and commented:
    I feel like society’s continuously promoting body shame and oversexualization of nudity, and it just isn’t right. I feel like a lot of people in today’s society are setting a bad example, especially for our youth.

clothingoptionalzone 3 years ago

I think it’s awful how schools don’t require students to take showers after Phys Ed, and I feel this has something to do with gymnophobia and/or sexual impulse. I feel like society is continuously setting bad examples for our youth by oversexualizing nudity and hindering our younger generations from appreciation of the natural human body.

clothesfreelife 3 years ago

Very true in their minds saves money and time and protects kids from any possible sexual situations.
      ED

Bare Beach Bum 3 years ago

This is more PC thuggery here. We are raising a generation of wimps with unhealthy attitudes in many areas of life. Universities are spending millions reconfiguring their dorms to suites to give students more “safe space” instead of teaching them how to live and cohabitate with others. Puberty is the age where we need to teach children that their body is normal and natural and not something to be ashamed instead of hiding it and hoping it all works out when they are adults. They need to feel comfortable with themselves instead of reinforcing the awkwardness they are experiencing. I remember feeling inadequate and awkward when nude at that age and I was lucky enough to overcome it in my early 20s, but I know many people especially women that never do.

clothesfreelife 3 years ago

Thanks for the comment. Not sure I agree that it is thuggery or PC but they is a generation of parent who feel they have to create a perfect world for their children and that includes protecting them from all harm seen and unseen real and unreal and that has created many distorted perceptions among these children. Recently read that colleges are having to deal more and more with students who totally lose it when the fail at anything in college because they have Ben so hyper protected from failure by parents. ED

4. natfabart avatar
    Naturist Fab 3 years ago

Well, I can honestly say that in High School I was very insecure about taking a shower after gym. Our showers was an open space with only shower heads on opposite walls. Jocks didn’t mind walking around nude but for the scrawny 90 lb weaklings it was a nightmare. I’d often get to my next class late because I’d wait until everyone had finished before taking mine. Thankfully, I have no such issues now that I am grown up. I have learned (albeit) the long way all about body acceptance.

clothesfreelife 3 years ago

I think that is probably true for most of us though there was always some sense that is was something to move beyond as I got older.

ED

naturistsholiday 3 years ago

Reblogged this on Naturist Holidays in Europe.