The original recipe for this is located at: http://eatjamaican.com/recipes/ital-curry-eggplant-recipe.html.
I made some adjustments based on personal tendencies, mood (read “laziness”) and needs. For instance, I only cook for myself, so I chopped the recipe down quite a bit. Also, I wasn’t in the mood to fight and dance with a real coconut, so I used a can of coconut milk. (I actually need a tutorial on dealing with coconuts, because sometimes I nail it with graceful glee, and at other times coconut juice winds up spewing everywhere, and I stand in the kitchen wondering what I did wrong in life while chewing on a sliver of the meat.)
Anyway, other adjustments: I wanted tomato chunks and puree as opposed to just puree. Garlic powder instead of garlic cloves (though I usually love working with cloves very much…was just lazy that day). A touch of honey softened the flavor for me a bit. Finally, I was in the mood for potatoes instead of rice.
You can do it according to the original, try this version, or play around and be your own mad scientist. The third option is probably more fun. Goggles, beakers and what not.
ital curry eggplant rundown
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 red potatoes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- sea salt to taste
- a few dashes of ginger
- garlic powder to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Bake eggplant in oven at 400 degrees for roughly 45 minutes or until soft to the touch
- Cool eggplants, and remove the skin
- Cut into one inch pieces
- Boil potatoes in a pot of water until a soft
- Remove from pot. Slice into chunks and place on plate
Cooking the stew
- Combine coconut milk, chopped tomato, tomato puree, onion, garlic, ginger, honey, thyme, salt, and curry powder in a pot.
- Simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add chopped eggplant. Cook for no more than 10 minutes.
Put it all together and enjoy
- Add eggplant and stew to potatoes on plate.
- Maybe share.
- Definitely devour.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.