This is such a fresh recipe, meaning that it only contains vegetables. It’s very filling and tastes amazing. Let’s get to it!
Mushroom Stuffed Collard Greens
- 1 tbsp. oil (your choice)
- 1 tbsp. vegan butter (I used Smart Balance with flaxseed oil)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 c. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 onion, grated or finely chopped
- 8 large collard greens leaves, stems removed
- 2 c. chopped mushrooms (your choice)
- 1/2 c. cooked rice or quinoa
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dill seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oil and butter in skillet. Add tomatoes, veggie stock, and onion, all but 2 tbsp. Add salt and pepper. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat and let simmer. Now prepare your greens and stuffing.
Blanch leaves for 1-2 min. in boiling water. Drain, rinse with cold water and pat dry.
Sauté mushrooms until soft. Mix mushrooms, rice/quinoa, paprika, dill seeds and lemon zest with remaining 2 tbsp. of onion. Add 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Divide mixture among the leaves. Fold bottom edge and sides then roll up the leaves.
Place the stuffed greens seam down in sauce. Cover and simmer on low for 30-45 min. Once done, you can pair it with any side you choose.