naturism's dirty little secret that you should know

Naturism has a dirty little secret and it’s time it was exposed. Shh.. Come closer and I will tell you.

Are you ready for this? Can you handle the truth? Well,  like it or not here is the one thing some naturists and nudists don’t want you to know.

NATURISM NUDISM AND CLOTHES FREE LIVING DOESN’T SOLVE ALL THE WORLD’S PROBLEMS? WHY? WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS

Yes that’s it! It is out of the bag! Naturists, nudists and people who practice clothes free living are human beings. Contrary to conventional wisdom we  aren’t freaks, we aren’t pervs we aren’t crazy, we aren’t social misfits, we aren’t hippies, (well some of us aren’t), we are human beings. We come from all walks of life. We come in all shapes and sizes. We are historically and increasing diverse, and guess what? We don’t all think alike. We don’t all believe the same things. We aren’t all liberals, we aren’t all conservatives. We aren’t all old, we aren’t all young.

What does it mean that we are human beings? It means we aren’t perfect. We get ANGRY, we have feelings that can be HURT. We have egos that can be HUGE. We can opinionated, sometimes to a FAULT. We are FRAGILE! More than we want to admit. We are sometimes INCLUSIVE and sometimes not. We have heroes and champions and “GODS”.  We have preferences, beliefs and CONVICTIONS. That makes some of us racists, some of us sexist, some of us homophobes. But some of us are gay, some of us gender fluid. In short everything that exists in the rest of humanity can be found among naturists. Naturism is no magic bullet no great equalizer, because we are human and all have flaws. Whether we want to admit it or not, naturism, nudism, can only create the appearance of equality not equality itself. Because equality is something that lives in the hearts and minds of individuals. Yep, that’s you and me, and since we are all different and all just human beings that means there is no single monolithic example of a naturist, nudist or person who lives clothes free. Let’s stop with all the extravagant absolutes about what naturism,nudism, and clothes free living can do. It doesn’t serve the cause well.

Naturism, nudism and clothes free living is also REAL. It’s real because you and I are real. Real human beings, real people with real thoughts, hopes and dreams. So naturism, nudism and clothes free living can help heal. It can help with body acceptance. It can help us see past the things in society that divide us. It can help make us more healthy. But it doesn’t solve all an individual’s problems or the world’s pressing social issues.

When you and I make statements suggesting that, I think we sound naive, insensitive, illogical and maybe even irrational to the rest of society. Those are things we can ill afford if we want to normalize clothes free living and social nudity. So let’s bust this secret right out in the open. Let’s start telling the truth! Naturists, nudists, and those who live clothes free are real people. We laugh, we cry. We live, we die. We bleed and much more. But nakedness cannot will not solve all problems.

I got 99 and nakedness can’t solve most of them. That’s the secret and I’m sticking to it.

About the author: Verified member Moderator Earl D

Founder, editor in chief, news curator clothesfreelife.com.

1. Bare Beach Bum 2 years ago

I became a nudist by accident. There was nothing in me from the beginning that drove me to the lifestyle. I was not a hippy or a rebel. I was just looking for a beach where I could relax and relieve the pressures of work. I happened to stumble on a clothing optional beach. What attracted me the most was the diversity of people and thoughts and their willingness to accept people of all walks of life not so much the opportunity to be nude. The nude part just seemed to make sense to me at the beach. The nudity came to represent that feeling of inclusiveness and openness which I adopted as a lifestyle. Nudism/naturism is the best promoter of equality and that is how we should position it.

2. SimonT avatar
    Simon T 2 years ago

Making what is simply “wearing no clothing” into someting bigger and hyping it up is also tapping our ego bit of the brain…that instinctual need to be listened to over the voices of others. This inevitably leads to bolder statements that gradually tend towards ‘preaching’ very akin to religious zeal. Therein the instinct is towards a sense of power over others. All of this is inherantly in-built instinct that has evolved in our brains over millions of years. Instinct seems jumbled, and it takes a lot of concentration in our modern human body to realise its still very much a part of every action we take. To step back…to keep a voice simple and quiet and gently educating is still very hard as it goes against our natural animal instincts. True altruism is another state that is hard for the same reason (as we are naturally selfish at the global level by instinct…the ‘I want everyone to be like me’ feeling). The bottom line here is that loud voices advocating naturism in a complex ‘hyped up’ way are not unexpected…and advocating a simple message…”It’s nice to be naked sometimes” feels lost amonst the thunderous din of millions and millions of voices clamouring to be heard. I agree it’s what we should do, but we should be prepared for the long haul. Simple, quiet, educating messages will succeed if the arguments are true and watertight BUT the resulting acceptance and truth will not likely become apparent in the short time we live.

• Earl D avatar Author
      clothesfreelife 2 years ago

Thanks for the sober comment. You hit on many important ideas including the possible psychological motivation behind the cliches and overstatements. That is some thing I think the proponents of normalizing social nudity would do well to engage. I suspect very effective ways to engage the broader society might be found through that process.

3. hontouniheart 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing this piece. I think it is very important for us to be honest, realistic and , well, human about the cause. When we say that it can solve all ills, we set the whole thing up for failure, because once people step in, when they realize that it doesn’t solve all problems (because it doesn’t), it might move them to leave clothes free living behind altogether.

Clothes free living is not a diet pill.

4. Dave 2 years ago

At first I thought you going to say we some times we wear cloths eeek : )
    I do get your point Pogo said it best We have met the enemy and he is us.
    We are only human after all.

• Earl D avatar Author
      clothesfreelife 2 years ago

Thanks for the comment. That Pogo quote is an all time favorite. And very applicable. Oh and yes we do wear clothes is another well kept secret.