Lemon Drizzle Traybake
- 225g softened butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 275g self-raising flour
- 2 level teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
For the crunchy topping
- 175g granulated sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 160⁰C, Fan 140⁰F, Gas 3. Grease a 30 x 23cm traybake or roasting tin then line the base with baking parchment
- Measure all the ingredients for the traybake into a large mixing bowl and beat until well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top gently with the back of a spatula.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and springs back when pressed in the centre with your fingertips. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out, carefully peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack. Stand the wire rack on a tray to catch any drips of the topping.
- To make the crunchy topping, mix the granulated sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl to give a runny consistency. Spoon this mixture evenly over the traybake while it is still a little warm. Cut into 30 squares when cold.