Confession: I have been working on this post for months. Writing. Reviewing. Scrapping. Writing a new one. Reviewing. Scrapping...
Tag Archive for: labels
The compelling photo series strips away all the excess to explore how we as human beings deal with the words thrown at us, both carefully and thoughtlessly, each and every day. “The labels that dictate how we are viewed by society are different, in many ways, from how we as individuals identify with ourselves,” Renner explains in her statement. “At times, it can seem as though the line between our self-identity and the identity placed on us by others is blurred. This makes it difficult for us to free ourselves from the confines of words, and alter the perception we have of ourselves.”
To explore the effects of the labels and stereotypes we’re all exposed to, Renner recruited volunteers to list the various words used to describe them on a piece of paper. After listing all their modifiers, from the complimentary to the painful, Renner’s subjects stripped down and wrote the words on their nude bodies. Ranging in age, gender and life story, the brave subjects proudly wear the words thrust upon them, expressing ownership over their collective and individual identities.
- France embraces the nudist lifestyle with yoga, restaurants and art galleries (via The Telegraph)
- Would you ever vacation nude? ‘Nacations’ are the latest getaway trend (via NBC News)
- The secret life of a naturist #29 Do I part 1
- I Went to the ‘First Nudist Club Night’ in Paris (via Vice)
- My Experience Getting Naked in a Cave at Howe Caverns (via felicitysblog.com)